DURATION AND COST OF TREATMENT
Duration of the Treatment
- The duration of the treatment depends on the cancer. Varying from leukemia treatment for 2 1⁄2 years, PNET and Osteosarcoma over 1 year, to Retinoblastoma over 6-12 months, AML over 4 -5 months
- If the child relapses during or after treatment, the treatment cycles may be repeated.
- If a bone marrow transplant (BMT) is indicated, the BMT itself takes about one month.
- Chronic Cancers can be treated for several years
Cost of the Treatment
- Costs differ from cancer to cancer, and centre to centre. For many childhood cancers the cost of treatment alone can be prohibitive. Even at a Govt Hospital, the cost of drugs alone, for leukemia, can be as high as Rs 3 lakhs. For an Allo BMT it can be as high as Rs 5 lakhs.
- CanKids has a very large medical assistance program. Between 2004 and 2013, 11,200 children have been assisted for treatment, drugs, investigations, surgeries,supportive care, and BMTs, through our Adopt a Child program, from our various Medical Assistance Funds, and from our Palliative Care Fund to the tune of Rs 7.50 crores.